From my friends. This project on the boat has really taken on a life of its own. I have spent many hours online searching for the correct parts to make modifications work. Moving the sea water pump was hard enough. First I had to come up with an idea for how to make it possible. This has been done over in Bayshore, at Dickson’s Marine West. Rick, Steve, and Clarence have been great. Rick had suggested a way to mount a pedestal type pump and gave me the name of a supplier down in Florida. Steve and Clarence have loaned me some tools and given me support from the start.
The pedestal pump is the same type that is used on a Cat 3208 and is readily available at a reasonable price. Typically it is driven by an 8 or 9 inch diameter pulley and the pulley on the crankshaft. After looking at that and making numerous drawings I realized that would not work. The pulley would be too large, and the pulleys from each engine would actually interfere with each other in the engine room. I was looking online at other ways and saw a crankshaft adapter that would turn a cogged belt. I started researching that and found that a 3 1/4 inch diameter cog mounted on the water pump shaft and driven by a 2 1/2 inch diameter cog mounted on the crankshaft would turn the sea water pump at the correct speed with the right amount of seawater flowing through the engine. All I needed before ordering all the cogs, belts and raw steel for brackets was a solid design and an adapter to bolt onto the crankshaft.I have to admit I was starting to lose faith in this project of mine when I asked my friend Ken Stein of the Sayville Ferry if he knew of any machine shops. He mentioned Charlie Hart of Shellfish Marine over in Sayville. Rick and Steve also mentioned him. So off I went to his shop with a box of parts. I found Charlie working at his lathe and we started talking about what I was doing. At one point he suggested I pick him up next week and take him to the boat so he could see what was going on! Who does that in this day and age? How nice was that? After we talked some more and he assured me what I wanted was possible, I went home and ordered everything. Pre-cut stainless steel, water pumps, cogs and belts, etc. A week after I dropped all those parts off along with my drawings he had made them into a workable system. The adapter he made was exactly what I wanted and I was off to the races.
Luckily for me, I have the blueprints of the engine with measurements, and I was able to find them for the water pump also. Many hours were spent drawing up plans and revising them. I tried very hard to find an adapter I could use but struck out. I did find a shop out in the mid-west and was told by an employee that they could make what I needed. I was all set to give them a credit card number when they suddenly fell off the planet. Never heard from them again so it was back to square one. I was looking for a machine shop that could turn down a piece of steel on a lathe, another hard thing to find.
One thing that I was not prepared for was having both after coolers fail a pressure test. They are no longer available so I had to come up with a replacement and make it fit. Kind of like making a Chevy intake manifold work on a Ford. It is possible but takes a lot of work. The original after coolers have a heating element installed for cold weather starting. I wanted to adapt that for those cooler fall days. I needed to fit all the air lines and water lines to the new after cooler and have it all fit in the boat. I went ahead and fabricated a mounting plate for the heater and needed to have it welded to the after cooler. I also had to take the air intake off of the engine and cut the air pipe to re-align it with the after cooler output pipe. I took the air intake home and cut the pipe off, then cleaned and marked it for alignment. I then took all of that to Vinny, of Vinny the Welder in East Moriches. Vinny is a very good welder who did the work on my mast a few years ago. He had my materials welded up in short order and I was headed home.
Now I am waiting for the silicone hoses to connect the turbocharger to the intake.
Maybe within a week, I will be starting the engines up, but there is still plenty to do before we hit the water again. My wife and I would like to take some longer cruises. One of the reasons I had the engines pulled and went through all this trouble was to make the boat as reliable as it could be. There was no way I could change the sea water pump on the port engine, and I did not want to be at the mercy of anyone while on a trip out of the area. Parts are getting harder to find for a twenty year old set of engines, and more expensive when you can find them. So now the pumps are belt driven at the front of the engine. The new after coolers are just about hooked up, both engines have had valve jobs, fuel injection pumps and injectors have been cleaned and calibrated.
I installed an eyeball camera at the back of the hardtop. Now I can scan the cockpit by using the Multi-Function Display at the helm keeping an eye on guests. I still have to install a “deck guard” that I made last winter to protect the deck from the anchor and chain.
Once we hit the water we are headed west from Fire Island Inlet into NYC to stay at a marina for a few days, then east in Long Island Sound to a couple of spots. I would like to stop at Eaton’s Neck Coast Guard Station, having been stationed there in the ’70s. Then a week in Port Jeff, then back to home base in Mattituck. A nice trial run to see how we like cruising!
I hope to see you out there.